With the arrival of Autumn, a general review of the vehicle’s condition is recommended to anticipate the fall of the leaves and the arrival of the cold. In fact, the proper functioning of all the elements is vital to maintain optimal safety conditions in the face of the decrease in daylight hours, the drop in temperatures and the increase in rainfall. We must bear in mind that with the change of season, many vehicle components can suffer problems or breakdowns, therefore, from the workshop network
Confortauto Hankook Masters advise a preventive inspection, because only in this way can any incident be located in time, allowing us to solve it without running any type of risk.
1. Tires: Checking the tires is essential at this time of year to avoid effects such as hydroplaning. Examining its condition, pressure and drawing is essential, otherwise our connection with the road will be fragile. Riding with worn tires endangers our safety and that of others. According to the regulations, the depth of the tread of the tires must not exceed 1.6 millimeters (established legal limit), being advisable to change it when the depth is less than 3 millimeters.
2. Lighting system: One of the characteristics of autumn is that the daytime days are shortened and it begins to get dark earlier. For this reason, it is very important to check the lighting and signaling of the car: front, position, dipped and high beam lights, rear lights, position lights, brake lights and, finally, the turn signals.
3. Brushes: Our visibility depends on them, and in autumn, when rainfall appears suddenly, this visibility can be compromised if the brushes are not in perfect condition. After a hot and dry summer, the wiper blades are likely to be dry and lose elasticity, making them ineffective in properly cleaning raindrops and moisture from the vehicle. For this reason, although in summer we have given little use to the windshield wipers, we must check them and urgently replace the blades if they are in bad condition.
4. Liquids: Don’t overlook brake fluid, lubricating oil, windshield washer fluid, and antifreeze.
5. Battery: After a summer with intense heat, car batteries are weakened to do their job when the cold arrives, and it is advisable to check them in autumn. It is very important to carry out a good maintenance of this piece, because we do not forget that the failure of the batteries is the first cause of breakdowns on the road.
6. Brakes: After the summer, it is possible that we have given intensive use to the vehicle, with which the brake pads and discs will have suffered serious wear. This corrosion directly affects the correct behavior of the brakes, putting our safety at risk. If when driving we observe symptoms such as noises or vibrations when braking, that the brake pedal sinks, is very hard or loses braking capacity, traveling more distance than to stop the car, we should have the vehicle reviewed as soon as possible.
7. Shock absorbers: The suspension is responsible for absorbing the irregularities of the ground and ensuring that the tires are always in contact with the road. One of the elements that determine the suspension are the shock absorbers. These progressively deteriorate with use, therefore, it is very important that they are checked in a trusted workshop every 20,000 km or in case of observing any alteration. If these are out of adjustment, the car will not adapt well to the asphalt, which will cause that, in certain situations, the tires lose contact with the road, causing premature or uneven tire wear and less grip that makes driving unsafe. .
8. Filters: There are four filters: the oil filter, the air filter, the fuel filter and the cabin filter. It is important that each of them is free of dirt and particles that can damage the engine preventing the vehicle from working properly. Good maintenance of each of them will make the life of our vehicle more durable and its performance will be greater. Among other things, filters in good condition will help to preserve the engine, reduce consumption and not harm the environment.